Re: RC: Re: where to get ex-racehorse arabs?

In a message dated Wed, 10 Jan 2001  4:58:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"Heather Hamper" <hnhamper@hotmail.com> writes:

<< Hi All

I have bought several arabians from Poland over the last few years,
specifically for endurance and ultimately as breeding animals.  All arabians
in Poland race providing they fulfill the basic criteria.  Without exception
we have had problems introducing them to endurance because of their
competitive attitude.  As we had purchased these horses as long-term
breeding prospects we were prepared to take the time to re-educate them but
it is a pain.  >>

A great deal of this is the inherent attitude of the individual horse, as
well as the race training.  Some are completely unfazed by the hullabaloo of
race training, whereas others (and I think the latter are often purposefully
selected in at least some race breeding programs) simply have that "jazzed"
mentality and get their adrenaline up over anything that they could possibly
perceive to be a racing situation.  Let's face it--there is NO pressure to
select for calmness in a racing program--or for quick recoveries, etc.  The
goal is speed, speed, and more speed, and trainability only comes into
account if the horse is too rank to be trained at all.  Just one more reason
why I don't look much to racing or to racing breeding programs to produce
endurance prospects per se, although there ARE some spectacular individuals
with the capability to do both.  (In other words, the talents to do both
sports are not mutually exclusive, but just because a horse is good at one is
no reason to think he will excel at the ot
her.)

Heidi