Fwd: RC: Whips and spurs...an outsider's perspective

In a message dated 1/8/01 11:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, tracey@tbt.co.za
writes:

to many people, and particularly to those involved in other disciplines,
endurance riding is still perceived as "yahoo" riding.

Sad but true - many do and in some circumstances, not without good reason.

o the so-called "purists" of equestrianism, it is unnecessary to "mess
with" long-established sports such as show-jumping, dressage, and eventing.
 Indeed, the politics rampant in those sports would make any attempt to do
so highly unlikely to succeed.  However, as endurance is a new sport, and
lacks the elitism of the older disciplines, it is "fair game" to the FEI,
which is seeking to show the animal activists out there that it truly has
the best interests of the horse at heart.

Indeed. And this, from the "purists" who condone gingering, soring of feet,
'bumping' jumpers to encourage them to lift their feet higher over fences,
liquid cocaine in the eyes to make them glossy and 'wide'; whipping halter
horses being the show barns until they drop to their knees in submission;
rhythmic spurring of dressage horses; savage bits in many disciplines; the
list goes on of things we have SEEN in the show ring. All of this pales next
to the base reason for abuse of any kind - a complete absence of true
horsemanship and a lack of understanding of the very nature of the horse.

---- Begin included message ----

I've been reading the mail on this,
and I must say I'm somewhat astounded that FEI has passed this ruling,
particularly as it has seen fit NOT to pass similar rulings in relation to
the
other disciplines.

What I'm about to say may upset
many of you, and I'd like to point out that this is NOT my point of view, and
that I don't endorse it in any way, but I've discussed the ruling with some
folks in other disciplines, and the only "rationale" we can think of
for the FEI's decision, is that, to many people, and particularly to those
involved in other disciplines, endurance riding is still perceived as
"yahoo" riding.

To the so-called
"purists" of equestrianism, it is unnecessary to "mess with"
long-established sports such as show-jumping, dressage, and eventing.
Indeed, the politics rampant in those sports would make any attempt to do so
highly unlikely to succeed.  However, as endurance is a new sport, and
lacks the elitism of the older disciplines, it is "fair game" to the
FEI, which is seeking to show the animal activists out there that it truly
has
the best interests of the horse at heart.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assumption,
but my experience sitting on disciplinary panels makes me think
not.

Any thoughts?

Tracey

---- End included message ----