Hunters/Jumpers (was FEI...)

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

It seems to me that much of the discussion/debate about the AERC/FEI
issue could be fairly amicably put to rest if people came to the
understanding that distance riding encompasses more than a single
sport.

International/FEI endurance racing bears as much resemblance to AERC
endurance riding as show hunters does to show jumpers.  Though there
are some obvious similarities (the horse and rider must negotiate a
course in a prescribed sequence), there are also some obvious
differences (which can pretty much be summed up in two ways: how you
define the winner and some fairly superficial differences about dress,
tack and equipment—which reflect the slightly different demands put on
horse and rider as well as slightly different fashion statements that
participants may want to make).

Because (like in hunters and jumpers) the courses and the skills
required of the horse and rider are similar, it may be possible to run
both events at the same venue, but you are going to run into serious
problems if you try run both events under the same rules.

I think that it is long past due that it be accepted that the
differences in the sports are acknowledged and accepted and attempts to
reconcile them be abandoned.  So…here is my proposal:

The AERC will keep and maintain its own rules that defines winning at
an endurance ride as crossing the finish line, will continue to keep
track of lifetime mileage, yearly mileage (and any bonus points for
crossing the finish line in the top ten), best condition, etc. and will
distribute awards based on such.

The FEI will keep and maintain its own rules, the AHSA can continue to
be the national organization within the US (or USET depending on how
the two of those ever get their own differences worked out) that
governs the sport that defines winning at an endurance race as
completing each of the segments of the course is the shortest amount of
time, and will distribute awards based on such.

The AERC, the AHSA, USET, and/or the FEI can work together on whatever
agreed common concerns that they may have (like trails preservation,
shared development of veterinary research that applies to both sports,
etc.), and can butt out of each other's sports otherwise.

Ride managers (just like show managers of horse shows) can choose to
run whatever competitions at their venues as they feel they have the
resources and capability of successfully managing, and can defray the
costs of doing so in whatever way they think will be successful.  And
they may distribute their awards in whatever way they damn well please,
and can keep their sanctioning from whatever governing body(ies) they
choose just as long as they comply with those organizations' rules.

Riders can choose to attend whatever competitions suit them and their
own personal (or professional—more on that below*) goals and can pay
for whatever they are willing to pay for and get whatever gratification
that pleases them in whatever way they like, as long as they, too,
comply with the rules of the sanctioning body(ies) of the competition/s
they choose to participate in.

As near as I can tell, this is exactly how the current structure of the
assorted involved organizations (which also includes an assortment of
regional CTR organizations, NATRC, the IAHA, and even the R&T
association) is doing.  All that needs to be done is to consciously
acknowledge and overtly state that this is the approach that both
organizations are going to take.  That way, there will be no more
bitching and moaning on the part of AERC members about how the FEI is
encroaching on "our" sport and how "we" have to be sure to have a say
in what "they" are doing.

Endurance racing as defined and governed by the FEI has only
superficial resemblance to the endurance riding that most AERC members
participate in.  It is not the AERC's sport at all, it is the FEI's
sport…let the FEI govern that sport how it so chooses.  If the FEI
would like to avail itself of the experience of members of the AERC and
what they have discovered in managing and sanctioning a similar sport
and incorporate some of those lessons into their own rules, they can.
And if the AERC would like to avail itself of the experience of members
of the FEI and what they have discovered in managing and sanctioning a
similar sport and incorporate some of those lessons into their own
rules, they can.

Then, people who want to participate in the sport of endurance racing
can do so (if they can find ride managers to put on such competitions
for them) under a set of rules designed to properly regulate and keep
track of participants in a head-to-head competition race of 25 to 100
miles.  And people who want to participate in the sport of long
distance trail riding can do so (if they can find ride managers to put
on such competitions for them) under a set of rules designed to
properly regulate and keep track of the thousands of miles going down
the trail over an over again with the same horse and/or rider.

There is (as far as I can see) no reason that both of these sports (and
any other events that an event manager wants to put on) cannot be held
at the same venue, on the same day, on the same or similar course,
sharing resources including some officials, etc.  And I see no reason
that competitors cannot, if it suits their tastes participate in any or
all of the events that may or may not be occurring at a particular
venue (assuming that they as individuals can work out the logistics of
doing so). Or participate in one sport at one venue and the other on a
different day at a different venue.

Other horse sports (such as Hunters and Jumpers) successfully do the
same thing all the time.

Personally, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to participate in
the sport of endurance racing as defined and regulated by the FEI, and
if the AERC starts to change its rules to accommodate people that do, I
will stop going to AERC rides.  But that is just a matter of personal
taste.  I don't care for bowling either, so I just don't bowl.  That
doesn't mean that I don't know people who DO like endurance racing as
defined by the FEI and choose to expend their time and resources
pursuing it (and I will even do what I can to support them if they
happen to be personal friends).

I am encouraged to hear from Maryben Stover and Barbara McCrary (both
members of the AERC Board of Directors) that what may or may not have
gone on at the Biltmore ride with respect to the FEI aspect of the ride
and how it was managed was of absolutely no concern to the AERC.  As
long as the participants in the AERC aspect of the ride complied with
the AERC's rules, then it is none of the AERC's business what else
those competitors may or may not have been doing or what anybody else
may or may not have been doing at the event.

Presumably it IS a concern of the ride manager to address and decide
whether whatever caused displeasure in any or all of the participants
is something that needs to be changed for future events.  And it is the
concern of competitors to decide (if they were sufficiently displeased)
whether to attend the same or a similar event in the future—no matter
what their sanctioning or the cause of their displeasure.

And as near as I can tell the only real fly in the ointment to this
approach is AERC International being part of AERC (it should be a part
of the AHSA…if the AHSA will have them).  If International endurance
racing is the sport as governed by the FEI and by extension the AHSA,
and has nothing to do with the long distance trail riding as governed
by the AERC, then the organization that riders with international
aspirations should join and petition is the AHSA, not the AERC.  These
riders and ride managers need to work together with the AHSA to have
their concerns addressed.  The AERC can then officially stand to the
side rather than taking the obstructive role that it currently has.
Currently, these riders and ride managers have to be members of the
AHSA anyway, why should those that are ONLY interested in the sport of
racing be required to support and participate in a sport that they are
no more interested in than I am in theirs?

People who are interested in both can join and participate in both.
Just as people have been doing for years with respect to the IAHA,
NATRC and (in my case) the California Dressage Society. :)

Does this mean that participants with international aspirations cannot
attend AERC rides and use them as training and participation for what
they are really interested in?  No…just as I can take my novice jumper
into a hunter class at a horse show because it is a great venue to
train a prospect about the balance, form and control required to do
show jumping.  Just as I can take my novice endurance horse to a local
poker ride to teach it about being mindful in a crowd…or even just
because I think poker rides are fun.

It is long past time for participants to realize that there is more
than one sport going on here, and that these two different sports need
two different sets of rules.  Attempting to run both sports under the
same set of rules will just prolong bickering among participants.  The
AHSA has been dealing with the FEI with respect to other FEI
disciplines for decades.  I can see no reason not to let them continue
to do so. For the AERC to stick its iron in the fire as well would
serve only to enmesh it in a quagmire that is of little or no interest
to the majority of its membership.  And lest those people interested in
international riding think that endurance will suffer at the hands of
the AHSA if the AERC doesn't involve itself, I might remind them that
one of the people working for the AHSA with respect to endurance is
Mike Tomlinson, a long standing and well respected endurance rider and
endurance veterinarian who is currently on the AERC Board of Directors
and can keep both organizations appraised of what the other is doing.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. With respect to the question of professional vs amateur, I would
also suggest the same split.  The AERC should make a distinct point of
describing itself as an amateur sporting organization that sanctions
and provides governance for amateur sporting events.  The AHSA and the
FEI are long standing professional organizations with multitudes of
professional participants, with stricter rules in place necessary for
governing a professional sport (and with the necessary lawyers on
staff).  Since most of the membership of the AERC (especially if the
AERC doesn't involve itself in international endurance racing) are
hobbyists participating as amateurs and the sport of long distance
trail riding does not particularly lend itself to professional
participation anyway, there is no reason for the AERC to involve itself
in the morass of any professional aspects of the sport either and leave
the managing of professional endurance to the AHSA.  Personally, I
think the AERC would do well to take the same approach as the WSTF and
clearly state that participants understand that AERC is an amateur
sporting organization that governs amateur sporting events and takes no
responsibility whatsoever for the professional gains or losses of any
of the participants.  So if Ride Managers want to run big money rides
with large prizes that are likely to attract professionals, then it is
the AHSA and/or the FEI that should be the sanctioning body they
choose, not the AERC.  The AHSA has been governing horse sports with
big prizes for years.