From: Maryanne Stroud Gabbani [mailto:maryanne@ratbusters.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 12:00 AM
To: Bob Morris; Jim Holland
Cc: RideCamp
Subject: RE: FEI/AERC Rules

Bob,
As someone who has been comparing the US, Brit, Aussie, and FEI rules for
some time now so that we can choose how to set up our local organisation,
I'd say you've done a good job.

COMMENTS ON FEI/AERC RULES

AERC Has just one set of rules that cover endurance and LD  These rules take
up 33 pages.  The FEI rules take 51 pages and must be read in conjunction
with the Statutes, the General Regulations and the Veterinary Regulations.

>>> One of the differences for the FEI General Rules is that they are
intended to cover a multitude of disciplines. One thing that they do
stipulate in Section 162 is what is considered to be conflict of interest. I
don't think that AERC has ever had to worry too much about that.  My guess
is that it is more of a concern where there are cash prizes.<<<<

Further FEI Requirements not generally seen in AERC Competition include Red
and white Boundary Flags. Entirely red or white (on both sides) boundary
flags or
indicators must be used to mark defined sections of the entire course, to
define the hazards, and to mark the start and finish lines. They are placed
in such a way that a competitor must pass a red flag on his right and a whit
flag on his left Such red or white flags or indicators,

>>>So far we have never had the red and white flags marking the edges, and
the FEI have had firm control over marking, so that must not be too
important to them. They've just marked the trails with colored flags for
each loop. Most of the time these have been easy enough to see, but with
rolling hills in the desert, they are also easy enough to miss at times,
especially if you are going fast. If you are in the back of the pack, the
hoof prints are pretty much a dead giveaway. As we don't have "trails" per
se in the Sahara, stewards are usually put where people could cut a part of
a loop or something. Making a massive cutoff is pretty noticeable..."Say,
who is that masked man all on his own in the middle of nowhere?"<<<

In other words if the trail is to tough you have to make an easier one for
the competitors.

>>>Tough is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Our race routes are
usually way too simple and flat by local standards.<<<

The AERC Rules establish the maximum time for the distance being covered.
The FEI has no established speeds but offers the following;  . In all
Endurance competitions, the Organizing Committee, in consultation with the
Technical Delegate, must fix the time limit for the arrival.

Quite a difference from our 12 hours for a fifty and 24 hours for a 100.

>>>This can further be set with regards to either the entire course or by
loop. Our last two 100 km rides have been entirely with a controlled minimum
speed. In fact, this minimum was 10 km per hour according to Carol Bunting
but 11 km per hour according to our EEF announcers...and Magdy Abdul Aziz
rechecked that with them. In the first race they started at 12 km per hour
and came down to 9 or 10 as the day got hotter, but I think that the
finishers had the full 10-12 hours to finish in. No one has done the math
for the last ride, but the perception was different.<<<

Dress Code! This is certainly not covered in any AERC Rule or Regulation. I
personally have had grief with this in FEI Competition. The FEI Rule is .
Dress must be appropriate and not detrimental to the image of Endurance
Riding.

>>>I think that this is for more fancy rides. The only thing that was
controlled here was the use of riding helmets and the insistance on heels on
shoes. Otherwise, everyone was wearing a pullover cotton number tunic, so
who knew what you were wearing underneath. Certainly, no one was checking
collars at 4:30 am!<<<<

FEI requires stabling security the AERC believes that we are honorable
horsemen.

>>>At our rides, many, if not most, of the local horses just went back to
their boxes at the local farms and stables for the night before the race.
And no one has portable corrals. There are usually boxes set up for horses
that need them...but our horses are used to boxes. We don't have enough in
the way of horse transport....VERY few private trailers except for the big
breeders...so there's no camping, unless you crash on someone's couch.<<<

Vet Stops not in the AERC but covered by FEI and another Veterinary
Inspection conducted according to the requirements set by the Veterinary
Commission with a timed hold of not less than 10 minutes not earlier than 3
km before the finish.
Three km is damn close to the finish! A vet stop two miles from the finish?

>>>This one has puzzled us, but no one has ever made a course with a vet
check 3 km from the finish. Maybe they mean a vet standing watching people
go by? <<<

Again FEI rule; The last 3 km of the course should present no natural
hazards of any kind and no demanding change of altitude. This allows for a
flat out horse race. No such rule in AERC.

>>>Our 100 km rides have been flat out horse races the leaders for a good
part, hence the high speeds and people tossing water bottles to riders.  Not
my idea of fun, but maybe I'm picky.<<<<

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
maryanne@ratbusters.net
www.ratbusters.net