Biltmore Bruise

IAHA keeps talking about what they are  going to have to do to get more people to come to shows. They talk about going back to the "grass roots" of showing to bring more families and spectators to the sport. Amen. How about AERC  and the sport of endurance going back to the grass roots. I found a book on E-bay (my husband has since put a block on that site) called "Tevis, One horse, 100 miles, one day" or something like that. Sam Savett had pencil drawings of the scenes. No RV's or trailers with living quarters,and no helmets. Western saddles and big belt buckles were the fashion. Okay, so we don't have to go that far back. Let's face it, the vetting wasn't the greatest either. But we have learned so much so why can't we use that information and run with it. Literally!! Let's race. How can our horses be "Drinkers of the wind" if they are forced to take small sips? How can we call it a competition if some people can race to the finish line and some can't? How can some of us compete at the higher levels if the "world class riders" get special treatment? Not all of us can take that kind of time off, have a paid pit crew, yada, yada, yada. The whole idea of having vets at the rides was to insure the safety of the horse. What more does an international judge or vet add to a competition?? What different rules are in place to insure the safety of the horse that AERC and the wonderful vets involved haven't already put into place or at least discussed? Maybe I am biased because I don't want to see money in the sport either. When people ask me why I run or attempt triathlons, or ride my horse for 50 miles  I am very happy to say "Because I can". The reward is in self satisfaction, not money, not glory. Even though I have had a few gripes about AERC, I believe as a whole it does a great job. So for those of you who don't want any more bruises on our sport, don't support FEI rides. Support the ride management though and if they insist on having an FEI ride, do what you can to help. Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm