Vienna-Budapest 2001

Tom Sites goearth@shentel.net
Hello campers,  when i got an email from Australia requesting information on souvenir pins i should have known something had changed.  Little did i know that my conversation w/ John in regards to a seminar being held here in Va. w/ Pfizer speaking on Strongid C and my mention of the Vienna-Budapest ride this fall developed into our web page being on Endurance Net. I'd like to set  the record straight from the horses mouth.  On 17 Sept at this point in time 4 of us,  Dr. Jeannie Waldron,  Potato Richardson, Larry Lewis and myself will be flying into Vienna Austria.  We will be riding horses in a very leisurely pace to Budapest. The races between the Austrian-Hungarian Cavalry at the turn of the century is the basis of this event.  Hopefully,  we will ride 20-25 miles per day and be in Budapest on the weekend of the equinox.    Hence, the name the Day of Knights.  Every time i go out on an FEI adventure to some part of the world there is a constant whirlwind of responsibilities  etc...  This is a fun ride.  No STRESS.  We intend to go to Budapest which is about 100 miles from Vienna to assist 2 schools that Larry and i visited this past spring.  We will be going from the 8th or so GNP to the about 100th Gross National Product.  In other words in 100 miles we will be going from the HAVES to the HAVE NOTS.  Symbolism is just one of the variables on this adventure.  The Immortal Order of the Knights of the Golden Horseshoe is Americas oldest Equestrian Order established in 1716.  We have recreated it as a 501c3 devoted to Equestrian Historical Adventure and the education and assistance to  children thruout the world.  V-B is the second adventure.  Our first endeavor assisted St.Judes Childrens Hospital to the tune of 5k$.   Hoof and mouth in Europe may play a role in all these plans.  We'll have to wait and see.  Irregardless,  we will assist the 2 schools.  One a Catholic home devoted to bringing single women with children into the city from the country and training them to exist into society and care for their child
.  The other is a school of about 80 students.  These kids have a very mixed bag of family history and life situations.  Our web page needs work.  Our plans are not concrete.  We are a small group of horse folk who love adventure and await the next call.  tomsites   larry lewis   potato  and Dr Jeannie Waldron Head Vet of the PAC-2001 and Vienna-Budapest 2001