Driving.. cold hard facts!

Char Antuzzi char_antuzzi@hp.com
Saw all the posts concerning driving. I judge and show combined
driving. There are rules in place for the safty of all involved.
Someone wrote earlier that driving IS the most dangerous thing
you can do with a horse and it is true. So much can go so wrong and so quick!. Here are some rules and they are not just for the
show ring.
1 NEVER EVER tie up a horse that is hitched, no matter what.
2. Never hitch a horse without the having the bridle on WITH the blinders on first. You will be thrown out of the show for doing this. You ALWAYS want the bridle on WITH the blinders first.
3. Never enter the cart in front of the wheels. The proper way is next to the wheels or behind the cart.
4. The breeching is what stops the cart from going into the horses rear legs, this must be adjusted correctly.
5. If the cart doesn't fit the horse this can be very unsafe. Your shafts should be level
6. Hold the lines correctly, there is nothing like the thrill of a run away when you have a line under a tail,,
7. drivers always sit on the left, just like driving a car. This is because of the way the roads are sloped, back in the old days when we used to drive to town, etc.
8. Beginner drivers should start out driving a two wheel cart not a 4 wheel cart.
9. The proper way to hitch the horse to the cart is to have one person holding the horse, again NEVER tied. 2nd person lifts the shafts and comes down over the horse, don't back the horse into the safts.

Driving is like endurance riding you can get so hooked. It is a blast when everything goes right! But I have NEVER seen a accident where some harm (or death) has never occured. Its not a matter of if you and your horse get hurt its a matter of how bad.

Please seek professional lessons, I know there are a bunch of "cowboys" out there that have never had a problem and thats great more power to them. If you need lessons in your area please feel free to contact me and I will set you up with someone.
Have Fun!!