Re: Rice Bran

I'm not sure I see a pathway whereby rice bran is directly going to
'decrease energy output' differently than corn oil.  There just isn't all
that much difference in how the body metabolizes the fats in rice bran
versus how it would metabolize corn oil/vegetable oil.  I suspect that there
are two reasons why your husband's horse is tuckering out.  One, if he's
still skinny, then he doesn't have the energy reserves that he would at a
heavier weight and just putting on weight will benefit his performance.  We
did some pretty extensive research that showed thin horses get tired
quicker, have more metabolic problems and so on.

Two, if you're feeding rice bran or fat of any kind during the ride itself,
then he isn't getting enough energy input during the ride to keep the engine
running.  Fats are metabolized much more slowly than carbohydrates are, and
fat calories really aren't available for work output during a ride.  In
addition, they slow gastric emptying, so that food moves slower through the
digestive tract and again, you're not deriving the energy you need during
the ride.  That *might* have been what your vet was referring to when he
commented about fats decreasing energy output, though any form of fat will
do that, not just rice bran.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, you might want to read the series on my
website about Beating the Metabolic Pull
( http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/ ).  It goes into hydration, motility and
energy balance in pretty exhaustive (excruciating) detail and gives a pretty
good primer on the different things that could be factors in why your horse
is pooping out early.  I know it doesn't seem as though hydration could
affect energy, but it does, and so does gut motility.  Anyway, my
suggestions aren't the end-all-and-be-all, but you might give them a look.
I've gotten a ton of good feedback form alot of people that it's worked well
for them.

Good luck.

Susan G