Trailering Nervous Horse

Liz Masters Liz.Masters@Citcomm.com
I just got this wonderful Arabian mare.  I have been riding her and she is great!  Nice ground covering trot, level head, P&R's are low; just a real pleasure.  BUT..... She has a real problem with the trailer.  If I have her in my 3 horse slant with another horse and she is loose in the back two slots she is fine.  Just not always feasable to have another horse with her. She rides quite, no fuss at all.  But the nightmare begins when I put her in the trailer by herself.  If I have her loose in the trailer she goes into a kicking frenzy, kicks the trailer to death.  If I put her in and put the divider up she tries to go down.  Tried this Sat. and she got her hip under the bar and tore her hip area to shreds.

I have thought about borrowing my friends two horse straight load, which has a longer divider and then hobbling her back legs to keep her from kicking.  But I am not too sure about that.  I don't know if she may feel too claustrophobic and try rearing and stuff.  I have a feeling she has been through a nasty trailer accident.  She loads just fine, no fight whatsoever.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Please HELP!  Thought that maybe I should try an open stock (cattle) trailer.  But I really don't know.  I really don't want to get rid of her because I have such a good feel about her.

THANK YOU