Re: RC: leg cramps

In a message dated 4/23/01 10:54:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mtnriderII@webtv.net writes:

People-not horse.  Over the years I have sometimes gotten cramps in my
inner thigh muscle when riding.  This saturday I got a really sever
cramp after being on my horse for about five hours.  Anyone else
experience this and what have you found that helps?  I could barely
dismount and was finally able to walk which I did for about ten minutes.
The muscle is still sore today, Monday.  Yes, I drink water during the
ride-maybe not enough.  I carried a bottle of Gatoraide and drank that
too.

I don't know whether there is a connection, but in the past I've had cramps
in my calf muscles if I stretched my legs and pointed my toes down toward the
end of the bed at night. I'd have to get out of bed and stand up to relieve
the severe cramps.  I don't have this problem anymore, and I believe it is
connected to the fact that I take 630 mg calcium citrate daily.  Also, I've
been working at strength training in a gym since last September.  My leg and
back muscles are unbelievably strong because of this.  I completed a 50 miler
last Saturday, and I've never been so pain-free as I was then. I've always
been sore in my legs or back after a ride.  Example: riding the same horse on
a 50 miler last December (after 3 months at the gym), I was so sore in the
quads that I could hardly walk.  In April, after 7 months at the gym, I was
only mildly stiff, and was sore only after the 3-hour trip home in the truck.
 I'm very much inclined to credit the calcium intake with the lack of muscle
cramp, and I certainly recommend strength training, especially for people in
their senior years.  I can lift hay and things that I haven't lifted in
years, can hike stronger and faster, and have better balance on a horse.
Also, those strong adductors help me to stay on a horse that suddenly decides
to change direction, so I am much safer than I was.  We lose our muscle tone
as we become older; I just did something to restore it.

Barbara
P.S. My posture is better, too