Re: Re: The Edge

> Are you seeing any correlation ( or have you gotten that far yet ) between
> placing and metabolic issues as shown in the bloodwork. Namely are the mid
> packers as a whole to any significant extent any better off metabolically
the
> front runners?
>
> Truman

I haven't gotten that far, but will be crunching numbers as soon as finals
are over in May.  Just looking over the numbers, I didn't see major
differences between front runners and back in the pack.  However, I don't
think the front runners at this ride were going exceptionally fast by alot
of race standards and there weren't any horses at this ride that got into
metabolic trouble.  So the majority of information we're getting has to do
with what values are showing up consistently in almost all of the horses.
Ultimately, the goal is to find out what's normal in a hard-working horse
and what's a predictor of pending disaster.

We're hoping to find a good cross-section group of horses this August at
Tevis to collect more data from, traditionally a ride that has some
metabolic problems crop up.  So if anyone is planning on Tevis this summer
and wants about $800 worth of free serial labwork, get in touch with me.  I
have about a dozen horses signed up just through word of mouth, we want to
start about 40-50.

Susan G