Re: it's official--beet pulp a brewin'

>They also have the rice bran with the limestone added..but GEEZZ!! $28 a bag >is wow pricey!!  Beet pulp $8 for a 50lb bag.

Yeah, when you work out the price per megacal, beet pulp is bunches cheaper than rice bran....

> This beet pulp says that it has molassas added.  From Susan's webpage I >think that they do this for palatability?  Not enough to cause a problem though >do ya think?

Yup, mostly palatability, to reduce dust a bit and also because with 5% added molasses, it'll stick together into smaller pellets.

Nope, molasses isn't a problem.  The ONLY time molasses is a concern is when it's included in a feed that is also being used as a protein source, ie with added soybean meal.  Molasses degrades lysine (the most valuable of the amino acids) at a very slow rate, so you lose a significant percentage if you store the feed for a long time (say, more than 8 months) before feeding it.  But, you shouldnt keep grain around for that long before feeding it anyway...

>So, for the grin Susan..I currently have stewing a quart of beetpulp in a bucket >with about 3 gallons of warm water...no squirrles though.  Since hopefully, this >will all stay IN the bucket do ya think a quart of beet pulp will manage to >become 3 gallons of mush?  If so it will remind me of good ol' grits...

That shouldn't overflow the bucket, and of course the most important technical point is keeping any resident squirrels out of it.<g>

Susan G