help...friend infected with the snow white virus

I would be able to go to my own files to get information for my friend if I had not recently lost my entire database and had to start from scratch. I had saved information about virus fighting when someone posted to ride camp (can't remember who). My riding instructor and friend is even less computer savvy than I (which is pretty hard to believe and very sad for her). She just told me that she opened a post with the subject matter "ha ha ha" thinking it was one of her very young riders who is a jokester. Whatever she did, her computer is frozen. Suggestions from anyone out there short of calling a computer guru (she is flying with a low fuel tank)?.
Truman? Anyone?
Pat Super