Re: RC: Re: Rice Bran

I have used rice bran and beet pulp with good success.  I also have used
another product called Athlete, made by Purina, which I liked alot. I've
also added both oil and a version of weight builder for the most difficult
keeper.  I started with a version of weight builder by Select, and it does
put fat on a horse.  The problem I had with it was that it was expensive and
made from animal products.  I felt uncomfortable feeding animal products to
a herbivore.  The most disgusting side effect was that her waste STUNK!  If
you've ever had a kid with hamsters, gerbils or guinea pigs, you'll be able
to imagine the smell.  Her stall smelled like a huge hamster cage, YUK! My
finicky mare would not eat any kind of oil so I had read about rice bran and
tried it.  For me, it served two purposes: it added additional calories and
fat, and gave me a vehicle to get additional water into this mare (oh, in
addition to being a picky eater, she wouldn't drink water either).  The most
I ever added to her food was a coffee can of bran (about 1 lb) once per day
in dinner.  I also added about a 1/2 gallon of warm water and made a slop
that she loved.  In addition, to entice her to eat more, I added about a 1/4
cup of dried molasses, which she loved.  The bran worked, but she still
needed more help and I didn't want to go more than 1 pound per day, I
started to add Athlete.  This is an extruded feed which is high in fat and
easily digestible.  She got a 1/2 lb 2X day.  I also added up to 6 cups of
soaked beet pulp 2X day. The beet pulp was a recent addition so I can't
comment on it's effectiveness with her because she was recently diagnosed
with Cushing's.  She went from being a very hard keeper to getting fat on
air.  She had another trait which made it even harder in work to keep weight
on her.  When she was worked, she would lose her appetite and eat even less.
  Good luck with your horse, hard keepers with make you crazy.