tall vs short horses

Hello ridecampers,
I have been working with my mother's 3 years old standerd/arab mix.
One thing about him is he is very TALL he is about 16.5.I clearly think
he could very well place in top tens at rides someday.
Now my horse Polaris is short, he's only about 14 or 15 hands(never mesured
him)
He has always had a great stride in his trotting and cantering
on the trail.
But every now and then it seems like he is trying to hard to
cover more ground because of his short legs.
But Oz does'nt even need to try to keep a wonderful stride and cover more
ground.
Now do shorter horses like Polaris burn up more energy trying to cover
more ground or do taller horses use less energy covering more ground
with there long legs?
Are there many tall horses in the hall of fame or who have placed well
at rides?
Any info would be great!!!
Happy Trails!!
Colleen K., Polaris,(Hey I am be short but I have a big heart!)
& Oz ( I can cover 20 feet in 2 strides ha ha ha!!)