Re: RC: Fear

In a message dated 4/16/01 11:10:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, RhndLev@cs.com
writes:

You touch My
Knightmare on the side and she disappears and reappears several feet to the
side with this "oh my god, you touched me" look on her face.  Faster than
gravity or light, I tell you!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,
I've had Arabs for 30 plus years, and a Paint for almost four.  I can tell
you that Arabs are nearly a different species. <g>  I love them, but in
working with different breeds, as you've found out, it takes different
strokes.
When asking my Paint to move over it takes definite pressure until he tunes
in. With the Arabs, about all it takes is the thought, or I'll suddenly be
going in circles.
At the NH clinics I sometimes attend, this shows up so well.  When learning
the one rein stop for instance. Most breeds take on step over with the rear
foot, when they get the hang of it. The Arabs in class will be circling,
circling with that worried look on their brows. It takes them forever to get
over this. With a little Arab gelding I'm riding now, I barely move my leg
and he is over in a flash, I have to work really hard to make sure he only
takes the steps I'm asking, not ten to one request. My Paint still requires
pressure until I tune him in. Of course each horse is an individual, but the
Arab breed as a whole is very sensitive to it's rider (and everything else on
the planet), which can be a plus or a negative. Just something to be aware of.
It could be you are just not an Arab type person, and would much prefer a
less 'sensitive' horse. At any rate, it sounds like you like her dispute the
little wreck.  Some time together with Jim's great advice may bring you two
together on a workable solution.
Hope all goes well.
Jan