Electrolyte help?

> I am new to this list and I just did my first 25 mile CTR.  I know
> that probably isn't much for most of you guys but for me and my > horse
it was! :o)

Hey, if it felt like a lot, it was a lot!  As time goes on you have to go
farther to get that same feeling that you did "plenty" (just like other
drugs I guess >g<) but don't play down what you did.  Congratulations.

the only one I found my horse will eat)

I'm no great official on any of the technical aspects, etc. But I can say
that in 12 years and 3000+ miles, I've only had one metabolic pull and it
was when I gave some mainstream brand nice pink non-endurance
electrolytes. I had won them at a ride, and was apprehensive.  I had read
that the bought electrolytes (this was before there were brands made
specifically for us) were for a horse that is acidic (like a foal with
diarhea) but that our horses become alkaline.  I asked if they were sure
these were for endurance (it had a racehorse on front) and they said, "Oh
yes, we've used those for years!"  Next ride was Biltmore, hot & humid. I
was running 3rd in the 50 at about 35 miles when he got thumps.  Never
used them again, he's done another 1500 miles or so on home made
electrolyes and never another case of thumps.

>> I tried to give
> LyteNow paste

Now that there are several brands of electrolytes made for endurance
horses, like Lyte Now I'm not so afraid of the bought ones.  I tried the
Enduro-Lites for awhile and did fine, but had trouble with them getting
hard clumps and clogging the tube.  Some brands call for larger doses
though, and I got the feeling it was because there were more additives in
there.  It's hard enough to get one dose in him per stop so I went back
to home made and no more problems.

On the dosing thing.  I'll give electrolytes every 12 miles or so up to
25 miles even if they haven't taken a drink yet.  Don't know what I'd do
if one waited longer than that since one never has.  We have one horse
with lots of miles who simply does not drink before 25 and we give them
anyway with no problems.  Maybe you had a horse getting alkaline and you
gave him electrolytes that made him even more alkaline??

 Several years ago I went to an all day seminar at UT and it was very
confusing.  Race horses become acidic...but cross country jumpers become
alkaline, etc. etc.  Just don't know how we can use electrolytes made for
anyone but us and feel safe.

I mix 1 cup salt, 1 cup lite salt, and 1/2 cup crushed Tums, use a film
canister to measure a dose, mix it in 2 heaping tablespoons or so of
yogurt or applesauce, occassionally put in a dab of Mylanta if I want to
look like a witch mixing potions, spoon it into a 60cc irrigation syringe
and I'm able to shoot it pretty far back in his mouth and it goes down.
I understand though if you have trouble.  Marion Brewer's horse, "That
Boy"went a mile out of the vet check at the Biltmore 100 and then
suddenly looked like he had rabies.  He was just getting around to
spitting out all his electrolytes he'd been holding in his mouth all that
time. >g<

Good luck,
Angie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!