choke

Barbara Marcius run2fast@neo.rr.com
Hey Folks,
Have dilligently tried to search the archives on this subject to no avail.  Would any of you who have experienced this horror please e-mail me privately in case this has already been covered?
Here's the sad story.  7 year old Arab gelding choked for the first time last Thursday pm.  In 28 years of owning horses, I've never seen this, and never want to again. Had the vet out for a 2 hour visit.  Said it was the worst case he'd ever seen in his career.  Tubed him repeatedly till his nose was bleeding.  Said we'd pretty much gotten it all, that he would be just fine.  Well, he's not.  This vet is VERY hard to get ahold of, and still hasn't returned my calls, because "it's not an emergency". The gelding acts like he's 80 years old, very lethargic, wants not a whole lot to do with wet grain, only wants wet alfalfa, and not eating tons of that either. This is normally a very busy alert horse.  Anyone have a clue if this is just normal after such an event?  C'mon guys, the vet said no big deal, start riding him as usual.  Gut feeling says no way.  Any comments from you ridecampers?  This is very scary stuff.
Barbara