Re: RC: Barbed wire fencing

In a message dated 04/10/2001 4:23:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bgloverhrsewmn@hotmail.com writes:

<< I would just say, watch out for old stuff that old ranchers may have just
thrown aside when they were fixing fences long time ago.  It may be even
partially buried, and makes a real boobie- >>
In regards to this last part.....

My property used to house an old cow barn.  When I moved in I found bits of
wire, metal, even nails, throughout the pastures.  It was exhausting looking
for debris.  One day last spring I found my oldest gelding with a 4" nail
driven 2" into his hoof and swollen to the knee.  The hunt for debris began
again.  A friend then told me that lumber yards often have big magnets that
they drag around to pick up all the nails and staples dropped in error.  I
went and asked, and they let me borrow theirs.  Picked up all kinds of metal
crap that I had missed with my bare eyes.  Granted, it doesn't really pick up
the buried stuff, but if its on top or just below the surface it worked
really well.
FWIW
Abigail Madden
Tiger & Rosko