Re: RC: Barbed wire fencing

Hi Kerry
I had always used no climb fencing for my horses and suddenly we were on
our way to New Cuyama. My horses had 120 acres of wonderful grassy
pasture to eat; however, there was barbed wire on two sides. I put
electric fence along one end and there was a wooden fence along the
street side but we simply could not redo all the other fences-- so my
dilemma--- do I cage them up feeding them alfalfa/forage or let them
roam? My vet said that as long as there was a huge area, there would not
be a problem. There never was a problem. I took each around individually
when I first put them out and walked the line and let their noses touch
the wire. They avoided it like the plague.
Actually, I have had FAR more problems with hog wire (or utility
wire/farm fencing) which I have had to redo with hot-wire than barbed
wire. I would just avoid any small areas with it or smaller areas with
too many horses. We all would like ideal world's for our horses but....
Bette, who has had bombproof places for her horses who have STILL
managed to figure out a way to get injured!

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov