Re: Thin Horse/probiotics

> So, if I have liquid probiotics...are there no bugs?

That I couldnt tell ya.  There are alot of different brands around and I
only use two of them, both freeze-dried forms.

 I have given
> probiotics only during competition in the past...OK maybe some powder a
> day or two before or after.  Gave them when the gut sounds were a little
> diminished and it seemed to help. Sometimes it was liquid. Was it a
> coincidence or does the fact that "doesnt directly provide bugs, it
> provides substrates for existing bugs to live on and stabilize the gut. "
> actually help during this situation?

Again, I don't know a thing about liquid forms.  I cant imagine how they'd
stabilize the bugs, but *maybe* they're only activated by heat and not
heat-plus-moisture.  Though I cant imagine anywhere in Georgia where you can
avoid either, come to think of it.

I know alot of people give probiotics during a ride and it seems to help
with gut sounds.  I can't tell you why, because any oral probiotics given on
Saturday won't actually reach the hindgut until at least that night or the
next day.  But there are alot of people I trust that are saying the same
thing, so if it works, go for it.  :-)  It might be that there's some
endocrine stimulus occurring.

> helped.  Right now I'm making the decision whether to participate in
> Gayle Ecker's study at Biltmore.  I'd love to know what all is going on
> in the areas they are studying, but it's $140 on top of a $190 entry fee,
> and an extra day off work since FEI requires we get there Thurs.  Where
> do you draw the line financially?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask whether you should get research data on
your horse. <g>  I've sure talked to a ton of people that were able to find
areas to improve on once they had some bloodwork to look at, but the people
that have gotten the most out of doing that are usually horses that have
some specific problem, ie chronic tying up or poor gut sounds and the like.
If Kaboot is doing fine (and he sure seems to be) and money is tight, I
don't think you're being a bad mommy by not doingit.  If there are any
concerns, then the money is probably worth it.  Or, you can come on out a
little further west and have Barney do it at a Pride Project ride---three
blood samples and chem panels is A LOT of data for 'round a hundred bucks.
Or, even better, come out to Tevis this summer and the Chiron project will
do it for free.  :-))))

Susan G