Rabies vaccine question

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
FROM: Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Deb:
     Merck-Merial is the largest supplier world wide
of rabies vaccines.
for all small domestic animals and horses.
     The last time I checked, Merck-Merial's rabies
vaccine was the exact same product for dogs, cats and horses..
just the dosages different.
     There should be a lot number (or batch number)
on the vaccine used by your vet, and from that you can trace
the carrying agent (or the growing agent) of that particular
batch of rabies vaccine (some batches are grown in
hampster liver cells, a different batch could be pig
tissue, etc. etc).

     The immune system is supposed to mount a response to
a vaccine, so often an animal may not "feel great" after
a vaccine (just like you after a flu shot).

BUT.. you should be vigilent, and if the reaction
from the vaccine is an "adverse" reaction,
in that the horse worsens over time, it should
be reported to your Vet and the USDA.
It is my opinion that many adverse reactions go un noticed by the
owners.

Barb

     You need to check with your Vet for sure.  He should
know all the stats on the drug he's using.