Rabies vaccine for horses

>debbie Zanot darkcat5@yahoo.com
>Every year we have the annual vaccinations/coggins done on our
>horses I am always alittle uneasy. This year was the first time
>(different vet) I have noticed the horses look like they don't
>feel good and their necks are sore. I asked what kind of rabies
>vac was being used and the vial said it was for cats, dogs,horses
>but I think I may have read somewhere that horses should not
>have the same vaccine as dogs and horses.

There are at least two  rabies vaccines  that are licensed for use in
horses--one is Solvay's, which is also licensed for dogs and cats, the
other is Merial's, which is also licensed for dogs, cats,  cattle, sheep,
and ferrets. there may be others as well.
I know of none that are licensed for equine use that are not also licensed
for dogs, nor do I know of any reason  that a vaccine licensed for dogs
(and for horses) should not be used.

It is possible your DVM used the Solvay vaccine. From what I have gathered,
it tends to cause  more of a reaction in horses than the Merial vaccine.

                                          --CMNewell, DVM