Conflict of Interest

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

On February 4, 2000 (about the President's Cup in Dubai) Tom Ivers said:

> Best Condition" was a giveaway in this race. A political donation.

And on January 28, 2000 (about the Millenium Cup--which I believe was the same

And an AP Story about the same event said:

> CAIRO, Egypt (AP) _ Reports the crown prince of Dubai wore spurs while
> winning an endurance horse race in Egypt has prompted a preliminary
> investigation by the world equestrian federation, which bans spurs for
> such events.
> Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Dubai crown prince and
> defense minister of the United Arab Emirates, sponsored the event to the
> tune of dlrs 100,000 and cantered in first in the 100-kilometer
> (62.5-mile) horse race held May 19 across the desert at Sakkara, near
> Cairo.
..
> Pictures of the prince riding with spurs have circulated on the
> Internet. A crew manager for an Egyptian team, Lesley Alford, said she
> believes officials did not enforce the no-spur rule introduced in
> January "because it was Maktoum, because he was paying for (the race.)
> If it had been one of us, I feel sure they would have told us."

These statements were all issued as first hand reports by people who had
actually been at the events.

Whether the reports are true or not:

Tom Ivers said that the President was given the Best Condition award as a
political gift rather than because his horse was actually considered to be the
horse in the best condition.

Darolyn Butler said that rather than disqualifying participants who were
violating the rules, they changed the rules in the middle of the event.

Egyptian riders and ride managers report that the winner of the ride was
videotaped violating the rules and that the FEI refused to act on it by claiming
a bureaucratic technicality.

So, whether you believe the reports or not (I make no comment as to whether the
reports are true or not, just that the reports come from first hand witnesses),
the APPEARANCE of impropriety because of conflict of interest that officials are
facing because of the existence of participant sponsors is very real, and you
would have to have your head buried in the sand up to your ass if you can't see
it.  Hell, it even made the Associated Press.

It is all very well to say that anybody who expresses concern over the
appearance of conflict of interest on the part of the officials (note that it is
not the sponsors or participants who have the conflict of interest, it is the
officials) is just expressing sour grapes for having lost (or not getting to
participate) or is a racist or a bigot, but _I_ would think that it would be the
officials themselves who would be the first in line in expressing such concern.
It is, after all, the officials who would end up being accused of having been
bought.

And it is all very well for officials to then state, "but we are all upstanding
individuals, how dare you impugn that we can be bribed."  However, for many, the
gut level response to such righteous indignation is, "Me thinks thou dost
protest too much;" even if they don't say it out loud.  And THIS is the reason
that even appearances of such conflict of interest might best be avoided.

It is for this reason that there is general disquiet, even on the local front,
when ride managers ride in and subsequently win their own rides (so despite
accusations to the contrary, this isn't a racist issue at all, since the AERC
has plenty of examples of Americans accusing fellow Americans--whether out loud
or not--of exactly the same thing).  I know of one circulating story where it is
told that the head vet of the ride was fired and never asked to vet for the ride
again because s/he refused to award Best Condition to the Ride Manager's horse
because it was lame (I don't know if the story has any basis in fact, I only
know that the story is being told as if it were true).

It is for this reason that every now and then the AERC tosses around the idea of
having a policy that ride managers aren't allowed to ride in their own rides
(and then it is dismissed because it is realized that being able to ride in them
is one of the reasons that some ride managers even put them on, so to pass such
a rule might decrease the willingness of ride managers to manage rides).

And ride managers (or any other sponsors) if they choose to ride in their own
rides, if they want to avoid the appearance of impropriety, should go out of
their way to make sure that they don't win them.  Otherwise people WILL talk and
suggest that the "officials" had been "bought."

And officials, if they don't want to be accused of having been bought, should
ask the sponsors if they are planning to ride in the ride themselves.  And if
the answer is yes, then officials who don't want to be accused by some people of
having been bought would do well to refuse to officiate at such events (or just
hope that they get lucky and the manager doesn't win anything).

In the world outside of endurance riding (or at least in the US), it is common
practice (and in many instances a legal requirement) for sponsors and people
connected with the organization of a competition to be ineligible for
participation and/or winning.  One need only read the fine print or hear the tag
line of any promotional "sweepstakes" where it is stated that employees of the
organization putting it on, their families, and their connections are all
excluded from winning.  And presumably the reason for this is because nobody
wants to even allow for the possibility that there would be any accusations that
the contest was rigged.

If the sponsor of an event is also a participant, then the officials DO have a
conflict of interest. So the answer to the question of whether the fact that
Jerry Fruth and Larry Kanavy are now sponsoring the FEI portion of the NC ride
presents a conflict of interest for the officials is "yes" if the money that
they are providing goes to paying for the officials at the ride, then the FEI
officials at the NC ride WILL have a conflict of interest if any Fruths or
Kanavys also participate in the ride.

However, all that stated, just because the officials have a conflict of interest
doesn't mean that they will unfairly officiate at the ride.  And (as is the case
in many issues of conflict of interest, many of which in life are impossible to
avoid) if the officials, at whatever event, disclose their conflict of interest,
then the other participants can choose to participate or not depending upon
whether they think that those officials can officiate fairly despite the
conflict (or if they even care).  BUT, and here is the important thing, the
FIRST step in disclosing a conflict of interest is for the people that have one
to acknowledge that it exists.  So saying "we don't see any conflict" is not the
best way to encourage other participants and outsiders that the conflict of
interest isn't going to color decisions.

Far better to say: Yes, we recognize that there exists a conflict of interest by
accepting sponsorship from participants, but we think that the advantages of
getting the sponsorship far out weigh the possibility of impropriety.  We
believe that the sponsors, the participants and the officials are more committed
to fair competition than they are to other motivations and are sure that they
would all sacrifice whatever those other motivations are in the name of
fairness.  AND ...  These are the steps that we have taken to ensure that this
is the case (and then lay out the requirements for having, acknowledging and
mitigating the consequences of conflict of interest).

Conflicts of interest exist in all walks of life; they are virtually impossible
to avoid. And they cannot be avoided by pretending that they don't exist.  What
can be done is to expose them to the light of day and then let individuals
and/or the organizations to which they belong, decide to what extent they are
willing to accept them and attempt to manage their possible unfavorable
outcomes.

Participating in endurance is completely voluntary on the part of all
participants so I am not compelled to participate if I am uncomfortable with the
extent of the conflict of interest of any of the officials and how that might
color their judgment while officiating.

But I can say this, _I_ would be a lot more uncomfortable with the extent of the
conflict of interest of the officials and how it might color their judgment
while officiating if they were to refuse to accept that the conflict exists.
Not because I would think that they have nefarious intents and that they are
trying to deceive me, but rather because they would be deceiving themselves, and
I wouldn't be encouraged about their ability to manage the conflicts and
mitigate their effects if they are pretending to themselves that there is no
conflict.

So no, _I_ won't be participating in FEI endurance, for a lot of reasons, but I
can say that the substantial conflict of interest that exists with regards to
the overweening sponsorship (and it is everywhere, not just the FEI officials
themselves) of the sport at the international level and the refusal of the
people who have these conflicts to acknowledge them is part of those reasons.

AND, if the UAE's intent (as stated) is to have the sport become an Olympic
Sport, well...the IOC is also very conscientious of the importance of avoiding
the appearance of impropriety.  The opportunity for the appearance of
impropriety where a huge percentage of the money is coming from a single source
is substantial, and it is unlikely that the IOC won't notice just because the
participants are trying to pretend that they don't notice.

And if (as stated) the people of the UAE for cultural reasons are having
difficulty with even understanding the concept of "conflict of interest" then
those people who do understand the concept and are also committed to endurance
becoming an Olympic sport would do well to try very hard to explain it to them
rather than trying to whitewash over it by saying, "No, no, those people who are
going on about it are just a bunch of radical, lunatic racists."

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  I am a BIG fan of separating the people who want to measure their success
by galloping their horse around a flat course for 50 to 100 miles from those
people who want to measure their success by managing their horse over thousands
of miles of variable terrain at whatever is the appropriate pace; and there is
NO reason that some individuals cannot happily fall into both categories.  I am
also a BIG fan of separating the amateurs from the professionals.

But that is a completely separate issue.  However, the reason I am a big fan of
separating these groups is that people with such disparate motivations cannot be
governed by the same set of rules, and if you don't separate them, they are
GONNA disagree (and both with good reason) so it will lead to
incessant bickering.