Loose Horses

Lisa Salas The Odd Farm jsalas@tampabay.rr.com
I was also at ride where most of the horses escaped during the night. My horses didn't and I was very happy. The question was "Who is responsable for damage?". I can appreciate the comments from other people, seek legal advice and so forth, but come on. It is an accident. If you own horses you know they don't do things to get the owner in trouble or cause damage to other people. And for the most part, especially at endurance rides, we do all we can to ensure the safety of all horses. You can double halter, put up electric and pipe fencing and hobble you horse and if he fears for his life, for what ever reason, he is going to do whatever it takes to flee. That is the nature of the horse and we can't do a dang thing about it. I felt bad for the people who's horses did escape and couldn't compete the next day. All the training and preparation, not to mention the cost of gas and entry fees and food, wasted. Luckliy, there was no serious injuries, just torn fences and blankets. Guess what? They can be replaced cheaper than hiring a lawyer or filing an insurance claim. See it for what it is, an accident, with no one to blame. Yes, you can show proof of negligence sometimes, so let the other times go.