Re: RC: Riding on public land---Advice needed

In a message dated 3/26/01 12:09:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
scubagirl817@hotmail.com writes:

I was wondering if any out there lives on property that borders public land.
And if so, are you allowed to ride onto it from your property (gate, hole
in the fence, no fence?) or must you trailer to an official entrance?

Patti,

If I remember correctly you live in Florida.  First it depends on which
agency manages the land, then it depends on the actual land manager.  In
Florida we have about 10 different agency's that manage public lands and most
PLs are also CO-managed by another agency.  The differences between land
managers within a region can be quite broad.

Do they charge an entry fee at the main gate?  If so then buy an annual pass
from that managing agency. Dept. of Environmental Protection has an annual
pass as does Division of Forestry.  Some of the Water Management districts
have quarterly permits.  Once you have bought an annual pass, talk to the
land manager for that property, let him know you have the annual pass, so
that he will not be losing income.  Then, offer to volunteer!  Your asking
for a special privilege, make it worth his while! Your neighborhood can start
a "Friends of"  group that does volunteer work on the trails.

I have a similar situation at one of my favorite training areas.  I get along
great with the manger, but there are residents nearby that insist on sneaking
through the fence, on top of that they go off the marked horse trails and
swim in the pond, which is not allowed.  Fortunately the manger doesn't hold
it against the rest of the equestrians, but the manger and his people are
very frustrated.
If you need any more info on the particular property let me know, I can help
with the St. Johns Water Management district and some of the DEP properties.

Good Luck ,
Jackie Baker