The Way We Change The Pay Scale for Endurance

Well.... I read the proposal and though I'm not crazy about watching some
of the super competitive run for the fronters operate, I've got some
misgivings about such a radical change.  I was aware of the UK's series
through discussions with e-pals but to tell the truth, it's a little up
tight for me.  Did you notice the grading said, "7.5 mph with no
penalties?"  Well, those penalties are very much like Competitive Trail.
They have a tack inspection before you start, and SHOE inspection.  By
the way, nobody can tack a shoe on over there legally without serving a
full apprenticeship and becoming a licensed farrier.  I was informed by
my visiting UK friend after a good look at my duct tape adapted tack that
I'd never be allowed to start. >g<

nature and rewards of endurance competition pit riders, crews,
organizers and authorities against control veterinarians.

Not if we want to continue to compete week after week.  I would kiss the
feet of the vet who pulled me before I did permanent damage.

>>>...We will lose public goodwill
>>>...We will lose control over our policies
>>>...We will lose sanctioned endurance riding altogether.

Pretty dramatic don't ya think?  The main reason I see that we lose vets
is that they all like the sport so much they start competing.  As far as
public goodwill, I guess I have yet to find a public who knew we existed.
 To me just holding up our numbers of horses lost compared to the race
track folks should send the critics after them rather than us.  I still
think the biggest threat to losing sanctioned endurance riding is losing
the ability to have competitions on our trails.

I like the idea of being able to say "This is a Platinum with Gold
overlay level horse.  But I would sort of like for it to be a side
program I think.  Bragging rights only is good.  No need for rosettes
like they give over there or anything.

orwithin an overall time (“x”); “x”

I see this as an opening for other breed organizations to jump in with
awards for their horses. When I rode Apps I was big on breed awards.
Maybe the ApHc, and AQHA...TWHA, etc. could have lower speed requirements
to reach their own gold level.  To me the beauty of the Obedience
division of dog showing was that you were simply trying to reach a
certain score. Whether there were 50 dogs there that made it, or just
yours it made no difference.  This would be something like that...but if
you don't set the bar high enough it won't mean much.

>>Easier to recruit help (vets, volunteers)

Sounds good, but I don't see it making a difference. I loved the idea
somebody had about giving scholarships to vet students who would agree to
work rides for a predetermined time after graduation.  If we can just get
them hooked during those rides we might have'em for life.

>>>Less expense to participate

How?

>> Less tension and struggle at vet checks

I think inventing some comercial electrolytes that don't jam up in the
syringe would do more to lessen tension in the vet checks....and maybe a
huge clock with everyone's out time listed next to it.

Nations
>>>-- Less war-like image

Sending a "team" is less war like?  Sounds more like an army to me. >g<
Again, a bit of stretch don't you think?

I've seen several small rides try the team idea and at least at those it
was totally meaningless.  A few people who had no association with each
other otherwise listed their names together and turned it in.  It was
sort of like guessing the Trifecta at the race track...it didn't mean
they had any "bond".  I can see where in international competition is
does cause the team to be more conservative, but I really hate the idea
that no matter how hard I work, and cover all the bases, somebody else
*not* doing it can hurt me.  I am a teacher.  A few weeks ago we had
progress reports and I kept seeing straight "A" students with a really
low health grade.  I finally asked them about it and the teacher had put
them in groups and inevitably one slacker had ruined each of their
grades.  I'll bet the slacker had the highest grade he'd ever had.
Pesonally, I like to stand alone.  Teams are fine for international but I
don't want to see them at the local level.

Angie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.