Re: RC: Ready for 50?

Sue,
Unfortunately,there really isn't any "magic moment" green light that says
when a horse is ready. Give it a try & play it by ear. Even if they're
really "ready" ride day might end up being a "bad" day for them. The
inexperience of the riders at the 50 mile distance is the most problematic
element here. If I remember right from your original post, the horses
sounded like they were okay to try on a 50. But it's really critical that
the rider be able to judge the horse's ability to continue throughout the
ride. Especially with the horse that thinks he's the king of the world.
Can you hook up with a more experienced rider that will be going slowish on
the ride you plan to try? Try to find someone in advance who will agree to
help you evaluate the horses during the ride. Also, when you vet in, make
the ride vets aware of your situation, and that you welcome their
suggestions/input, even if the horse is not to the point where they would
pull them.
Choose a ride that has at least 2, preferably 3 vet checks. I don't remember
where you're located. If it's a point to point ride, make sure there's a
convenient way to haul these horses in if they can't complete the distance.
IMO the best bet would be a looped ride so if any of the horses become
questionable it's easy to pull, they can just stay in camp.
Nancy Mitts