Dubai - desert party

Quick update: - we have inspection and vet-in tomorrow
morning. Activity and intensity is getting more
tangible. Crews are planning and practicing.
Negotiations are being made for precious 4WD
rigs...details, planning. Two more riders have joined
the list of US competitors - Jan Worthington and
Jennifer Nice are both going to ride for the US, on
UAE horses. Hopefully we'll all pass inspection
tomorrow and start on Thursday.

The Party...

Last night we caravanned through the desert to attend
a tent party hosted by HE Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid
Almaktoum (Dubai Crown Prince, UAE Minister of
Defense). It was an amazing night. It's truly magical
here...maybe the night air, the silky sand. Even
ordinary events feel  special - but this was no
ordinary event. A few tents set up in the middle of
the sand dunes. Lights leading through the dunes from
where we parked the car to the tents, and scattered
around the tents - beautiful shadows. Carpets and
pillows were spread over the sand, exquisite food -
two tents set up just for the chefs to cook steaks,
lobster, lamb chops, shiskibab, etc. Plus tables
covered with salads, breads, Indian food, Arabic food,
fruits, deserts... we will all be riding in the
HeavyWeight division when we return!

A live band played while we lounged on the carpets and
pillows and ate and ate and ate. We ate, danced, ate
some more. Arabic music - rhythmic, haunting. Several
belly dancers circling the bonfire kept us transfixed.
How do they do that....?

Sheik Mohammed appeared after we had all relaxed and
settled in. There was quite a bit of excitement and
flurry - a caravan of vehicles - headlights visible
across the dunes. When I finally caught sight of the
Sheik he was dressed in a black robe and wearing a
black cowboy hat (a gift from Darolyn and Cowboy). It
was surprising, certainly not what I expected, but
rather charming. He made a point of greeting each
rider individually, and then joined in the party.
Dancing and laughing with the rest... I had never met
Sheik Mohammed before, and was delightfully impressed.
A very kind, charming and charismatic man. I still
find it amazing that a person in his position
(Minister of Defense in the most wealthy Arab country)
is also an active Endurance rider, and can be so
'human' and enjoy his fellow riders at such an earthy
level. And he can dance! An amazing night.

The day before, all of the riders and some of the
hosts and organizers were bused about an hour from the
village for 'lunch'. Another beautiful spot in the
dunes, tents, oriental carpets, palm trees, and some
of the best chefs in the country. Wine, caviar, all
types of foods. There were a couple tents set up just
for after-lunch relaxing. We shed our shoes, relaxed
on the carpets and pillows, exhanged sighs and smoked
the Hubbly Bubbly pipes. (huge water cooled pipes,
some sort of aromatic herb - not a tobacco - actually
quite delightful!)

So the name of the game is to invite riders from
around the world, turn them into total marshmallows
with excessively abundant and irresistable food, keep
them up night after night with parties and social
events, and then see if they can still ride a horse by
race day!

All of this sounds a bit excessive - and it is - but
it is such a treat! We are being treated so well, and
anything that we want for the horses is available. The
staff is great fun, but also works very very hard.

Bottom line: Take care of the horse, on race day do
your best for your horse, for the USA, for all the
people taking care of things back home - and
appreciate this experience!! It is a gift.

Steph