Re: gophers & pine trees

>If I could feed spearmint
>gum to pine trees and have nothing but hardwoods it would sure cut down
>on the trail work after ice storms.

Oh-I do like this one....please when you get it figured out that gum will
kill pine trees please let me know....  The largest weed on the Custer
National Forest...have several photos of the area from over 100 years ago
when the place was homesteaded and there weren't hardly any trees around.

Another "bombing idea" involves covering the holes, using propane, and
lighting it....really works well, but then again, one wants to keep this
away from homes etc.

Agreed that we haven't had a horse get hurt going through the hayfields
where the gophers are, but we don't go too fast through that either....The
main problem we have is that they really like alfalfa, hence they are
cutting into our hay crop year after year.  Our oldest daughter worked hard
last summer trapping gophers for us...made a good sum of money too, paid her
$2.00 a head....Certainly worth it when one thinks of the cost of hay and
the lack of hay this past summer.

Bill and Jan Stevens