Fwd: [aussieendurance] Foot and Mouth

In a message dated 03/14/2001 2:49:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Steven.Roberts@aqis.gov.au writes:

As often is the case, media reports are rarely accurate! It appears that
they just can't help themselves in the scramble to be the first with the
latest out there & to present it in an "interesting/attention grabbing"
format they always sensationalise material. In this information age
unfortunately we still often rely on popular media for information as we
often do not have a ready option.

Information comes to us several times a day on the FMD situation & we have
no reports of confirmed cases in Dubai or elsewhere close by. The nearest
was an isolated couple of cases in the northern mountains of Iran, where it
occurs now & then, unrelated to the European situation.

The problem for our horses in the UAE may be transiting the UK on the way
back, but hopefully quarantine arrangements can be made to allow passage,
we'll have to wait & see.

Steven Roberts
Senior Veterinary Officer
Meat and Food Services Policy
Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
GPO Box 858
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone +61 (0)2 6271 6438
Fax +61 (0)2 6271 6522