Re: RC: Strangles...but did vaccinated horses get sick??

Hi Jonni,
I worked for a track vet for a time, and one thing that was made crystal
clear and regularly was that vaccinations do not confer complete immunity -
on  the occasion where a horse contracted whatever anyway, they generally
were less symptomatic - but the message was that they can STILL get it. In
addition, over the life span of a vaccination, the efficacy is lower near to
the time of revaccination than at the beginning. So a horse who WAS
vaccinated last fall is more susceptible than a horse who was vaccinated last
month. Since most people vaccinate in the fall and spring, I now have a 26
year old mare as well as a 5 year old mare due to foal in June who are quite
susceptible to the stuff coming out of Ridgecrest, since they are due for
vaccs in two weeks. My black may may or may not GET anything but most
certainly can CARRY it, as could I, on my gloves, etc. Methinks I will crew
and leave my horses at home!
san