Strangles(long, sorry)

Well, after receiving tons of email regarding sick
horses at 20 Mule Team I feel it would be beneficial
to many people that were there and wondering what it
is that has their horse so sick, to share my story.  I
would like to begin by saying that this should not
reflect on the ride management of 20 Mule Team as this
ride was very well organized and managed and by no
means do I feel ride management should take the blame
for this, nor am I blaming anyone.  Just posting to
help others.  Approximately 7 days after returning
home from this ride 6 of the 7 horses that were there
went off their feed, became depressed, yellow-gross
dripping goop from the nose and high fevers and
swollen glands.  My vet took cultures from these
horses and they tested positive for
strepta....something equine, otherwise known as
strangles.  I followed his advice and am now on the
uphill side.  Fortunately I keep horses that have
returned from races quarantined from the herd so they
can rest and eat so I am lucky it is only 6 horses
instead of 20 something.  I have been advised by my
vet to keep these horses under quarantine for 30 days
after the last abscess has completely healed to keep
other horses from getting this illness.  I am hoping
that other people that have sick horses from this ride
will do the same and have them tested.  Strangles is
an illness that I have feared but after this outbreak
I learned it can be managed and horses will return to
good health.  I am sure the quick recovery is due in
part to the healthiness of these athletes.

I hope that people benefit from this posting and don't
turn it into a flaming war.  Thanks for your time and
please pass this information onto others that may not
be on this list and were at the ride and are now
fighting sick horses.  I feel as endurance riders it
is our responsibility to pass on this kind of
information so we do not continue to re-infect at
other rides.  Strangles can still be passed on by what
seems to be a perfectly healthy horse up to 20-30 days
after they are well.  Please be responsible and keep
these horses that have had strangles away from rides
until they are no longer contagious.

I know there are many knowledgeable vets and others on
this list that could fill in the details, or myths, I
left out, or put in, and would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Roxi