Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Animal By-Products in Feed

You have nailed the problem on the head - a problem that has no solution.
You want absolute safety, then you shouldn't use anything. You want
something to cure, then you have to take the risk that there may be side
effects. Can't have it both ways. To discover the side of effects of a drug
requires huge numbers of patients (many different types of patients - age,
sex, race, pregnancy status, other drugs taken) to take the drug for many
decades to determine all the side effects - and if we do it correctly it
means we have to know everything about the patient taking the drug - foods
eaten, other drugs taken, all life patterns. We still don't know everything
there is to know about aspirin. But of course we could wait until we do -
which means never: No drug approvals, no herb approvals , no neutriceutical
approvals, no apparatus approvals, etc. That sentence ignores the fact that
herbs and neutriceuticals require no testing and no approvals under current
law.

Whether I take a drug (or herb or neutriceutical)  - or give one to a
horse - will depend on its benefits versus those alternatives that have been
more thouroughly studied and its benefits. If I was about to die, I require
a lot less testing. But if it is to cure a headache, aspirin ain't perfect
but I know more (although not everything) about the risks.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net