Re: Re: Re: Re: Animal By-Products in Feed

Along with western medicine comes drug studies, which subject medicine to testing so that bad medicines can't go into production.  However, aspirin would not be able to pass the FDA testing and be approved today!

----- Original Message -----
From: Duncan Fletcher
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 11:18 PM
To: Robyn Levash; Susan Garlinghouse
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Re: Re: Re: Animal By-Products in Feed

One of the great things about traditional western medicine is they keep
running studies checking on whether 'traditional' ideas and therapies are
valid. Take that evil medicine called aspirin. As a result of a never ending
list of studies we now know that it shouldn't be used on children (didn't
understand a bit about Reyes syndrome when aspirin was nothing more than
herb). We also know its effect on the possibility of thrombosis. We are
beginning to learn its possible positive effects on preventing endocrine
cancer. There is still much we don't know. But it is traditional medicine
which subjects its current  knowledge to more studies - studies designed to
learn, not studies designed to sell (although they do exist also). Try and
find the same in depth studies on any alternative drug or modality.

Some of the diseases you mentioned have increased, others have decreased
(all based on an age adjusted basis which considering the fact that we
really all do eventually die, means that some fatal diseases must increase
if others decrease if you don't use age adjusted figures). The ones that
have increased on an age adjusted basis are for the most part related to
diet and exercise (but not to preservatives, etc.) - we know how to prevent
them, but we would rather ride a horse than take a 10 mile hike. Yes your
starch based diet is better and a diet of hay for horses (as has been said
time and again on this list by Susan and other western medicine advocates)
is generally preferrable.

The feed companies may not fund the research, but a lot of research takes
place that is not funded by feed companies. My guess is Bayer didn't fund
the research of Reyes Syndrome - and neither would the folks selling willow
bark.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net