the truth about feeding endurance dogs

Okay Cranky ridecampers; (We rototilled the mud today, now it's smooth mud and maybe I can ride this month someday)  I used to feed my good ranch dogs all the fine quality Eukanuba Lamb and rice and whatever I thought was the greatest stuff. But then I noticed, I kept having to throw away bowls and bowls of expensive dog food that was rejected. The dogs were sneaking off to go next door to eat Gravy Train, and bringing home old dead dried skunks and squirrels and deer parts.  Then for desert, fresh horse manure. So now that's their diet. Gravy train, table scraps, and whatever else they choose.  Just think, I''m getting double duty out of the horse vitamins. My shepherd is 12 years old and the neighbors is 16 years old. My shepherd still goes trail riding.   Sometimes the horses reject stuff too--most notably oat hay. They have to have very green fresh oat hay, any yellow in it and it's bedding.  At least nobody is eating diseased cow parts with BSE!  Beth