Re: Speaking of natural(for Equines)

I am feeding my friend's horses while she is out of the country. She had a hair analysis done on her 12 y.o. mare on the recommendation of the Homeopathic chiro/accupuncturist vet. He prescribed coconut soya oil, and a liquid silica supplement, plus a myriad of other things that my friend said not to worry about. Is there a specific reason for coconut oil? Do horses in tropical climates eat coconuts(Howard?) And is silica deficiency common? This poor girl is losing her appetite with all this vile stuff he wants her to be fed!! Thanks for any insight!

There was a time when everybody got all excited about hair analysis to determine everything from the overall health of the animal down to which astrolgical sign the ideal rider was and whether the tack should be pink or purple.  There are *some* things that can be determined by examining the hair shaft, follicles, etc, but it's not all encompassing and not very accurate---there's just not that much stuff that will show up in the hair.  Anyway, about the only difference between coconut oil and other types of vegetable oil is that coconut is a lot more saturated.  No other significant differences worth the extra cost, and I can't think of any particular advantages to a saturated vegetable oil either, other than it won't go rancid *quite* as quickly as an unsaturated oil.

Silica deficiency, no such thing.  Plants and grasses normally contain average between 1-4% silicates dry weight (some higher), but it has no specific role in the body.  In the plant, it provides cell wall stability and thus adds to the non-digestible fiber portion of forage, which in turn maintains gut motility.  So if your horse is having troubles with gut motility, by all means provide him with more "silica" and throw him another flake of hay.  But add it from a bottle?  Please.  If anything, too much silica in the diet of small animals (or humans) can cause kidney or bladder stones.  Sorry, your friend's getting rip......no, I won't say that.  Let's say that IMO, your friend is doing a fine job of helping pay off the homeopath's student loans as rapidly as possible. <g>

Got no argument against chiropractic or accupuncture, but remember folks, vets do NOT get any nutrition training to speak of in vet school.  A few hours and that's it.  Some vets are great nutritionists, in fact most of the top nutritionists in the world are (also) DVMs, but it's not a given.

Susan G