Re: Gaited horse gaits primer

A runningwalk is a 4 beat gait with even pickup and even set down timing.
Equal time is spent on lateral pairs and diagonal pairs - the gait is
neither lateral nor diagonal, but exactly in between. The rack has equal set
down timing but unequal pickup timing (the front hooves spend more time off
the ground than the rear hooves). From the perspective of setdown timing,
this gait could also be considered neither lateral nor diagonal, but because
of the unequal pickup timing, the horse actually also spends time on the
laterals than the diagonals - thus that gait can be considered lateral.

The foxtrot and stepping are as described. So the stepping pace is to the
pace as the fox-trot is to the trot.

The footfall sequence is the same in all the gaits rh, rf, lh, lf  (with
trot pairing the rf-lh and lf-rh although a trot can
actually be uneven or disassociate with the footfall actually changing to
lh-rf, rh-lf - most frequently
seen in severely collected dressage).

The Icelandic and Paso Fino and Peruvian Paso gaits are essentially one of
the above with a different name. The ideal tolt as the word is commonly used
(and there are modifier
words that can alter the meaning - technically, there should always be a
modifier word to accurately describe the gait as to whether the tolt is
actually a foxtrot, rack or stepping pace) and the paso gaits are generally
a rack. The Icelandics also do a flying pace which is a very fast stepping
pace.

Because there is a continuum in timing from pace to trot, there is no
absolute definition of where one leaves off and the other begins.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net