Gaits info and Chico

Ray O. rno2m@virginia.edu
  Please don't put too much effort into defining gaits-it's a real sinkhole!But the progression just listed left out the stepping-pace.In terms of hoof timing,the progression from one extreme to the other as I THINK I understand it,and absent rack,is:Trot,Fox-Trot,Running-Walk,Stepping-Pace,Pace.No head nod means no running walk.A good running walk often accellerates imperceptibly into a fantastic lope which decellerates seamlessly back into the RW,both gaits being extremely safe in broken and rough terrain.I've just spent six days riding all day im the Eastern Open Shooting Dog Championship,watching pro dog handlers with great horses.They lent me one when Chico finally was given a rest after four long days.I've never felt so safe,or had to think about the horse less,while going down muddy hills,in and out of gullys,etc at a pretty fast speed.Not as FAST as Chico,but plenty fast enough,and 100 times safer.Chico,I love you,but......