Changing leads and going disunited

Hi, folks.

My instructor is going to start eventing with PG this Summer, and will be taking him to some 2 phase shows in the off-season, so I'm doing the "leg work" to get him fit enough for the XC phase (such a relief : I get to do the fun stuff without the stress of competition).

Anyway, here's my problem : Despite intensive flatwork training, and natural cadence, and obedience when it comes to asking for the change, PG will go disunited when we ask him for a flying change from left to right canter lead.  In the school, we've put it down to lack of balance and engagement (he has a loooooong back), but I can't understand why he battles with it when we're out.  He is balanced on both reins, and can perform lateral work equally well on both reins.  He will also pick up the correct lead from the trot / walk / halt.  The only time he disunites is after a flying change.

I've never had to "train" a horse to change united when we're in the country, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.  Toc will change to suit himself, and I just leave him alone, and I expected PG to do the same thing.  I don't ask for the change, just let him pick whichever lead he wants, and he will change from one to the other depending on how windy the trail is, but he goes disunited when he gets to the right lead.

So how do I correct this problem?  I appreciate that I can correct it in the school, and it is something we're working on, but I'm wondering whether the schooling will, in this case, transpose into the country.  It's just that I've always seen flying changes in the country as natural.  The horse does them because he's going at speed and the change is necessary.  And because I'm not on his back, I've never worried about upsetting his balance.

Also : on the few occasions Toc has gone disunited (and I can count them on one hand) he has immediately corrected himself (either by bucking, or by accelerating and doing a little "skippy" thing behind).  I have left PG alone to see if he'll correct, but he doesn't.  I've pushed him on to see if he'll correct, but he doesn't.  I've even tapped behind my left leg to ask him to pick up the canter from that lead, but he doesn't change.

Any suggestions?

Tracey
(who doesn't find a fast canter on a disunited horse all that much fun, thank you.)