Re: RC: Haflingers in Endurance

Hi Katrina; I consulted for my neighbor when they were getting started with their first horses, and one of the ones I found for them is a Haflinger mare.  She was very successful in NATRC, which is where I first met her. She is a very solid, careful trail horse. She is 13.2 hands which makes her ideal for their small women in the family, and the kids. She is a little spirited when stuck in the stall during rainy spells, but calms down quickly after lounging for a few minutes. She is easily "pooped out". When she rode in NATRC, it was in the Novice division, which was mainly walking for about 20-25 miles.  This mare is very "drafty", she has very large bone and hooves, a very heavy coat, a thick mane, big wide hindquarters. Her trot is a little elevated, as opposed to extended, kind of like a harness horse.  I would not figure her as an "endurance prospect", she is too heavy and gets real hot.  Maybe for limited distance at an easy pace, just for pleasure. she certainly was a well behaved competitive trail horse, but it wouldn't be fair or even sensible to try to ride her at the fast past of her Arabian friends.  We enjoy having the blonde gorgeous beauty with the huge mane and forelock, around, and I hope you have lots of fun with yours!  Beth Glover