FW: AERC Convention

forwarded
-----Original Message-----
From: sweaney [mailto:sweaney@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 11:23 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: AERC Convention

I had a wonderful time at the AERC convention and wanted to share my observations.  I have never been to the convention before so I can't really compare it to year's past.  As a first time attendee, I have to say that it was very educational and worth the time and money.

We live in Bakersfield, California which is only a 6 -7 hour drive to Reno.  We arrived at about midnight on Thursday night and checked into the Silver Legacy with a group of other latecomers.  The room was nice, although we were disappointed that there was no coffee that so many other hotels offer in the room.  I got up fairly early so that I would be able to pick up my registration promptly at 8:00 a.m.

When I got to the tradeshow floor (where the registration booth was located), I was surprised to see so many people shopping already.  I later found out that vendors often offer early discounts, freebies, or other bargain items first thing in the morning.  I got my packet but resisted the urge to shop as my husband was waiting for me back in our hotel room.  I was very tempted to forgo the first seminar so that I could get back to the tradeshow.  Since there were only 5 seminars during the two days, I reasoned that I should attend those and go to the tradeshow between seminars.

The first speaker was Dr. Dan Marks.  His talk lasted about two hours and covered conformation and how it affects athletic horses.  Although he admitted to not having any endurance experience (he does mostly race horses), the issues he discussed were relevant to any horse participating in an athletic endeavor.  His main point was that what may be a conformational defect in one horse and may make him unsuitable for one discipline, may not affect him in a different discipline.

After lunch, My husband and I went on over to the regional awards presentation.  Even though John Parke did an excellent job presenting each award, the presentation was difficult to sit through.  It was extremely warm in the meeting room and the presentation was rather lengthy.  Even so, I was happy to receive my award and will proudly display it on my sofa.  Several of us spoke with John afterwards and offered suggestions as to how to improve the awards presentation for next year.

The second seminar for the day was presented by Sharon Saare.  Her talk focused on back confirmation and saddle fit.  Her slides did a great job of illustrating her points and helped the audience clearly see what she was talking about.

On Friday morning I had put my $20.00 worth of raffle tickets in the PS region's bucket.  I checked throughout the day and was disappointed to not have won anything.  Several of my friends won a variety of neat things (vitamins, supplements, a halter, lead rope, etc.) though and I was happy for them.  I continued checking throughout the day and still didn't see my name on the board.

That evening there was a reception by the WSTF and the AERC dance.  My husband and I were too tired to attend either but I did hear one gentleman say that the band was really good!

On Saturday morning I attended Susan Garlinghouse's talk on nutritional myths.  I have to say that this seminar alone was worth the $70.00 registration fee.  She spoke to a capacity filled room.  Nearly every seat was taken and people were even sitting in the aisle way and standing in the back.  The focus of her talk was to dispel the myths that so many horse owners just assume are true.  One interesting tidbit that she shared with us was the capacity of the equine digestive track and how it relates to various feed additives and their ability to function as advertised.

After Susan's talk, I went back to the trade show floor to buy some raffle tickets for the filly.  I decided to miss Janine Esler's (of recent Endurance News fame) talk so that I could shop and browse a bit longer.  As I was leaving the building for lunch, I realized that there was one last thing that I wanted to look at before eating so I went back inside and saw Jim Mitchell.  "You won," he tells me.  "What did I win?" I asked.  "Karen," he tells me "You WON!"  I am a little bit dense at times and still had no idea what he's trying to tell me.  "You won a Tevis entry!"  The first thing out of my mouth was "Crap!"  That's the last thing I had wanted to win.

Jim and I had just had a 20 minute discussion on why I didn't want to go do Tevis this year (or any other).  Not only did  I not want to go, but my husband has told me on numerous occasions that he WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER CREW FOR ME AT TEVIS!!!!!!!  Even so, I dutifully went to claim my "prize."  I was supposed to meet my husband for lunch but I had lost my appetite.  He was waiting for me when I got there and immediately noticed the look on my face.  I simply handed him the envelope and the first words out of his mouth were, "CRAP!"

With the word Tevis still buzzing around in my head, I headed over to the AERC general membership meeting.  I was disappointed that so few members bothered to attend.  It was very interesting to watch the presidential "debates" and the voting process that followed.  Congratulations go out to Barney Fleming as our new president.  I would also like to commend Mr. Fruth and Mr. Kanavy for their professionalism during the entire process.  I was very impressed by the actions of the three gentlemen running for office.

The vet panel discussion followed the general meeting and was also very informative.  Each vet addressed a possible scenario and discussed what should be done in each situation.  It was interesting to hear from vets who are from other areas of the country as they see horses who deal with different environmental factors than our horses do here on the west coast.

The awards banquet followed that evening.  I did not buy a ticket, but I dropped in and sat in the back.  It looked like an excellent dinner, but it was way too long.  At 10:00 p.m. awards were still being handed out.  Although I appreciate AERC's efforts to reward so many different riders, I have to wonder if it is necessary to give so many National Championship awards.  I thought that they received their awards at the NC.  It seemed that they were receiving a second round of awards for the same thing.  In any case, it looked like a nice dinner and awards ceremony.  I only stayed for a little while and then came back a few times to see a bit more.  At a little after 9:45, they started handing out yearbooks to those who were waiting in the foyer.

We left Reno early Sunday morning to find that the pass was completely covered in snow and that chains were required.  Thankfully we have 4 wheel drive and were able to cross without having to install chains.  We arrived home tired but very glad to have attended this year's convention.

Karen Sweaney