(where the registration booth was l
ocated), I was surprised to see so
many people shopping already.  I
later found out that vendors often
offer early discounts, freebies, or
other bargain items first thing in
the morning.  I got my packet but
resisted the urge to shop as my husband
was waiting for me back in our hotel room.
I was very tempted to forgo the first
seminar so that I could get back to the
tradeshow.  Since there were only 5 seminars
during the two days, I reasoned that
I should attend those and go to the
tradeshow between seminars.

The first speaker was Dr. Dan Marks.
His talk lasted about two hours and
covered conformation and how it affects
athletic horses.  Although he admitted
to not having any endurance experience
(he does mostly race horses), the issues
he discussed were relevant to any
horse participating in an athletic endeavor.
His main point was that what may be a
conformational defect in one horse and
may make him unsuitable for one discipline,
may not affect him in a different discipline.

After lunch, My husband and I went on over
to the regional awards presentation.  Even
though John Parke did an excellent job
presenting each award, the presentation
was difficult to sit through.  It was
extremely warm in the meeting room and
the presentation was rather lengthy.
Even so, I was happy to receive my award
and will proudly display it on my sofa.
Several of us spoke with John afterwards
and offered suggestions as to how to
improve the awards presentation for next year.

The second seminar for the day was
presented by Sharon Saare.  Her talk
focused on back confirmation and saddle fit.
Her slides did a great job of illustrating
her points and helped the audience clearly
see what she was talking about.

On Friday morning I had put my $20.00
worth of raffle tickets in the PS region's
bucket.  I checked throughout the day and
was disappointed to not have won anything.
Several of my friends won a variety of neat
things (vitamins, supplements, a halter,
lead rope, etc.) though and I was happy
for them.  I continued checking throughout
the day and still didn't see my name on the board.

That evening there was a reception by
the WSTF and the AERC dance.  My husband
and I were too tired to attend either but
I did hear one gentleman say that the band
was really good!

On Saturday morning I attended
Susan Garlinghouse's talk on nutritional
myths.  I have to say that this seminar
alone was worth the $70.00 registration
fee.  She spoke to a capacity filled room.
Nearly every seat was taken and people
were even sitting in the aisle way and
standing in the back.  The focus of her
talk was to dispel the myths that so many
horse owners just assume are true.  One
interesting tidbit that she shared with
us was the capacity of the equine digestive
track and how it relates to various feed
additives and their ability to function
as advertised.

After Susan's talk, I went back to the
trade show floor to buy some raffle
tickets for the filly.  I decided to miss
Janine Esler's (of recent Endurance News fame)
talk so that I could shop and browse a
bit longer.  As I was leaving the building
for lunch, I realized that there was one
last thing that I wanted to look at before
eating so I went back inside and saw
Jim Mitchell.  "You won," he tells me.
"What did I win?" I asked.  "Karen,"
he tells me "You WON!"  I am a little
bit dense at times and still had no idea
what he's trying to tell me.  "You won a
Tevis entry!"  The first thing out of my
mouth was "Crap!"  That's the last thing
I had wanted to win.

Jim and I had just had a 20 minute
discussion on why I didn't want to go
do Tevis this year (or any other).  Not
only did  I not want to go, but my husband
has told me on numerous occasions that he
WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER CREW FOR ME AT TEVIS!!!!!!!  Even so, I dutifully went to
claim my "prize."  I was supposed to meet
my husband for lunch but I had lost my
appetite.  He was waiting for me when I
got there and immediately noticed the look
on my face.  I simply handed him the
envelope and the first word out of his
mouth was, "CRAP!"

With the word Tevis still buzzing around
in my head, I headed over to the AERC
general membership meeting.  I was
disappointed that so few members bothered
to attend.  It was very interesting to
watch the presidential "debates" and the
voting process that followed.  Congratulations
go out to Barney Fleming as our new president.
I would also like to commend Mr. Fruth and
Mr. Kanavy for their professionalism during
the entire process.  I was very impressed
by the actions of the three gentlemen running
for office.

The vet panel discussion followed the
general meeting and was also very
informative.  Each vet addressed a
possible scenario and discussed what
should be done in each situation.
It was interesting to hear from vets
who are from other areas of the country
as they see horses who deal with
different environmental factors than
our horses do here on the west coast.

The awards banquet followed that evening.
I did not buy a ticket, but I dropped
in and sat in the back.  It looked like
an excellent dinner, but it was way too long.
At 10:00 p.m. awards were still being
handed out.  Although I appreciate AERC's
efforts to reward so many different riders,
I have to wonder if it is necessary to
give so many National Championship awards.
I thought that they received their awards
at the NC.  It seemed that they were
receiving a second round of awards for
the same thing.  In any case, it looked
like a nice dinner and awards ceremony.
I only stayed for a little while and
then came back a few times to see a bit
more.  At a little after 9:45, they
started handing out yearbooks to those
who were waiting in the foyer.

We left Reno early Sunday morning to
find that the pass was completely
covered in snow and that chains were
required.  Thankfully we have 4 wheel
drive and were able to cross without
having to install chains.  We arrived
home tired but very glad to have attended
this year's convention.

Karen Sweaney