To ride or not to ride

Hi Christian,
I don't know you or your horse but felt compelled to respond anyway.  This is MY philosophy...when endurance quits being fun, then I quit.  I won't quit because other people don't approve...what do they really know about endurance anyway?  They probably keep their horses locked up in a stall most of the time!!  Endurance horses are the closest thing I have seen to horses really being allowed to be HORSES!!  Also do not leave the sport just because you see some bad apples competing in a way which you don't like...there will always be bad apples and bad sports in any discipline.  RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and if there is something that is terribly objectionable to you, try to educate riders or talk to ride managers if you see something happening that is against the rules. You are the one who will best know if your horse loves his/her job or not...that is a judgement only you can make!  Perhaps you might have some fun starting a young horse and doing some limited distance...if you have been competing hard, then maybe you need to cut back and just do some fun rides.  It'll keep you in the swing of things while you decide if you want to keep on doing it or not.  However, if it has simply become too much of a burden and isn't any fun anymore, why put yourself and your horse through it?  I have bad days from time to time and wonder what the hell I'm doing this for...but they are few and far between and usually result from other issues in my life not from endurance or riding or my horses.  Actually, my horses are my "therapy"....and as my mom always said, "this, too, shall pass".  At least give it some time.  Good luck!
Maggie
McBain, MI