Re: RC: Awards, EN, etc.

1. The EN IS our AERC newsletter. That needs to remain it's first
obligation.
2. It should get only as fancy as it can through self generating funds. This
must include the additional qualified staff necessary to produce a fancier
publication. If we go for fancy, this will place the emphasis on what sells,
not what we need to know.
3. Trailblazer targets CT as well as the pleasure riding interests, do we
really need/want to spread EN this thin? Trailrider Magazine is also in this
niche, primarily targeting the pleasure trailrider. What can AERC offer
major advertisers to keep them with our small group?
4. The EN has been supported faithfully by small businesses through the
years, mainly because they participate in the sport as riders. As the ad
costs have risen faster than the circulation increase, we (they) have shrunk
the size of our ads. It costs about 6 times as much per person circulation
to advertise in EN as the larger magazines (Equus, Western Horseman, etc.)
Can we gain (and keep) enough of the bigger companies ads to replace the old
faithfuls?
5. Sponsorships and advertising are paid for by selling products! It's great
to see companies donate cash & awards, but they are paid for by customers
(you). Whatever you "get" from AERC is going to come out of YOUR pocket,
whether AERC pays for it with dues, advertising or sponsorships.
Nancy Mitts