Saddle Pads

All this talk of pads has made me envious. Here in South Africa we do not have the variety of pads you guys have so what would you recommend as a homemade improvement on a plain towelling/coton covered sponge pad? Would a plain sheepskin do the trick? I have a gel pad but I have been reading that there can be alot of heat buildup, is this true for all gel pads?

Celeste (South Africa)
Mawlud (preferably no pad...make that no saddle too....even better no rider!!)
Shadixx - doing his first 25 in April (mom can I do it backwards?)