Saddle Pads

Several years ago we did some heat tests on saddle pads made of different fabrics.  That was in the late 1970's...we did the same experiment in the late 1980's.  We found that the coolest material you could put on a horse's back was natural fabrics like wool and cotton.
I use both in our products....I really like the wool felt interior with a wool underside.  They work fine as long as the horse isn't a scrubber.  Scrubbing can occur when the horse is high in the loin...and also if a horse has a tendancy to hula...that is has a lot of motion behind the saddle.  Then, I still like the wool felt interior...but use a polarfleece underside next to the horse...or a wool fleece can do the same job on some horses.  The reason I like the wool felt is because a pad of substance does more than just seperate the saddle from the horse.  It actually protects the horse from the tree as the motion of movement somewhat alters the fit.
Most of our most successful riders...that is those using our saddles, also use our pads.
Incidentally, I will be fitting horses after AERC convention in Northern California....from Auburn to Ukiah and as far south as Paso Robles.  Anyone interested can call for an appointment starting Monday after convention at 707  575-0808.
Sharon Saare