Thumps

Hello all . . .
     I am looking for information about "thumps."  Personal
stories/experiences etc. all would be helpful . . .if you could e-mail
privately to keep from cluttering the list that would be great.
     I'm also interested in hearing from ridecamp's resident professionals .
. . that kind of info might best be posted to the list in general, so it can
help us all!
     I've a couple of specific questions for anyone (especially
professionals) who care to take a shot at them:

    Is thumps primarily due to overriding an underconditioned horse, or from
nutritional impalances?
    If a horse has "thumped" once, is he more prone to do so again?
    Does thumps have a genetic connection . . . are some breeds, bloodlines
more prone to developing thumps?  The only horse I personally ever know of
that has got it is a Thoroughbred.

    Thanks!

Trish & King David,
anticipating spring in muddy Michigan