Re: Re: Saddle Training Snafoo?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Sullivan" <greymare@jps.net>
  One
> day I sort of slid over her back, keeping feet on side of stall, and a
> plastic chair, suspending my weight from the pipe barn rafter. My kids
practiced sliding off her
> butt.....

In rereading this, I was horrified at how it sounded.  I guess I have to
quality these statements by saying that this was an exceptionally sweet and
laid-back filly, and that everytime we worked with her, I was really careful
to assess the situation to make sure NOBODY GOT HURT!  My kids and I always
wore helmets in working with her, and we never felt she was uncomfortable or
scared.  I didn't put my kids in any situations I had not tried first, or
where I felt they could get hurt.

Yes, there are risks with any horse, and especially green ones.
My daughter is very competent around horses and understands the risks.  My
son only got on and off after several months of this.

Oh well......

Karen