Re: RC: Re: Saddle Training Snafoo?

In a message dated 2/28/00 2:14:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
superpat@gateway.net writes:

<< One mistake that I made when my horse would not move off,
 was to squeeze her sides. I ended up sitting in the sand of the arena that
 time.

I had taught my youngsters the voice commands for gaits during ground
exercises (walk, trot, canter, with special emphasis on the whoa) so that
when I got on them I just used the voice commands while carefully using the
riding aids so they would could associate the new riding aids with the voice
commands.
I think Pat's suggestion to just get on for one lesson is excellent.  Perhaps
at this point, just lean on the horse on the horse, give it lots of praise,
and stop the lesson on a positive note.  Next time, lean on the horse for a
few extra minutes.  Stop & praise.  Next time lean on horse for more time &
maybe wiggle saddle, stroke hindquarter (so it gets used to being touched
there), stop & praise.  Take lots of lessons with very small progressions.
If you get to a sticky point, back up a lesson.
I do disagree in that I think mounting blocks are ok.  Horse should learn at
some point to stand at a mounting block, rock, stump, overturned bucket &
also to be mounted from the ground.  I would think that getting on from a
mounting block is less pulling on a young horse & might be better to start.

Good luck!!!!
Nancy
Md